Health Requirements

Login Register

What are the health requirements for you to be NHS CCS, LPP, HTE Compliant?

As you may be aware, when working for an agency you may be asked to provide additional details to those required to work direct in the NHS. These are NHS rules and we can not bypass them. Below are details of what you require in order to provide evidence of immunity.

Tuberculosis: As an agency worker you are required to provide evidence that your BCG Scar has been vetted by a suitably trained and experienced occupational health practitioner. If you do not have a scar you have to provide evidence of Tb skin test.

Summary: Do you have a BCG scar on you arm? Your Doctor or an OH Nurse can write and sign further on this form saying that the BCG scar is visible. If you do not have a scar then you need to get an appointment with GP or Occ Health dept to arrange a TB skin test and then a BCG if no immunity is apparent.

Rubella, Mumps & Measles: This immunisation now comes in the form of a two part MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella). You must have two doses. You will probably have had an initial dose at school, but it is now advised that you are also immunised in your adult life. You can get this done with your GP or Occ Health. You must provide proof in the form of a doctors vaccination record or a letter confirming 2 MMR vaccinations. Alternatively, you can provide blood test results showing imune levels of all three antibodies. Documents need to be signed and stamped by Doctors Surgery/Occupational Health Department to be valid.

Varicella: You are required to either, provide written evidence of immunity to chicken pox or shingles (Varicella) in the form of a blood test showing such immunity or evidence of vaccination; or you can sign a declaration of having had Chicken Pox.

Hepatitis B: The Hep B immunity is a course of 3 injections. When you have had your third, you need to get ‘titre’ levels taken, to prove that you have above 100 units of Hep B protection in your system. PaSA insists that this is completed before you work.
This is much stricter for agency workers than for NHS staff , who simply need to commence the course.
We need a copy of the report from the lab that tests your blood to say what your levels are. The report may be sent straight to your doctor, so ask for a print out. VERY IMPORTANT: To prove that it was your blood that was examined, IVS protocol needs to be followed by the doctor and laboratory. You can show the doctor your photo-Identification and make sure it is written on the report “IVS protocol carried out” with a signature by your doctor! We also need a Hep B Antigen test, to show that you do not currently have Hepatitis. This can be performed at the same time as the antibody test, but you need to ensure it is requested.

Summary: You must provide proof of Hep B immunity by getting a pathology report.

Refusal of HIV and AIDS screening: There is no requirement for you to be screened for these conditions, but you must sign a declaration opting out of such screening.



Information contained within this document is governed by the Data Protection Act 1998. Disclosure of information is only with your informed written consent. Recommendations to your employer will be directed to essential information regarding your health and the hazards and risks of your employment and with due reference to other relevant statutory requirements and professional practice.

Requirements in brief: You MUST send to us the following:

  • Tuberculosis
    You MUST provide an occupational health/GP certificate of a positive scar or a record of a positive skin test result
  • Mumps, Measles & Rubella
    You MUST provide a Certificate of vaccination or blood test result showing the immunity levels is required.
  • Varicella
    You MUST provide a Certificate of vaccination or blood test result, or self declaration.
  • Hepatitis B
    You MUST provide a copy of the most recent pathology report showing titre levels of 100lu/l or above if possible or antigen status if titre level is below 100lu/l. The report must be an identified validated sample and dated with in the last 5 years.
  • Hepatitis C
    Proof of Hepatitis C non-infectivity is required for staff performing exposure prone procedures. As appropriate, please either provide an identified validated sample of your most recent UK pathology report or sign the opt out
  • Hepatitis B Surface Antigen
    Proof of a negative result

Further details: Kevin Rendell on 020 8551 1299